Keeping loved ones up-to-date

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Asian worldview

I'm really happy with how I get to spend my life here in Cambodia.
Every morning after breakfast I go some of the Buddhist temples around the city and hang out with my friends. I'm friendly with many monks in the city and getting to hang out with them is something I love. Because I speak English fluently most people want to practice with me, also everyone finds it fun to help me speak Khmer. People are genuinely interested in what I believe and share with them. I'm genuinely interested in Buddhist believes as well.

I do think I am learning a lot about Asian world views through my time talking with the monks in the morning. I find it so interesting to understand the struggles people have in accepting Jesus message here. There is a very strong idea in Buddhism that no other person can help you. Buddha himself said essentailly, 'I can not help you'. The Buddhist message is 'every man must help himself'. The message of Jesus is in direct contrast, 'you've tried to help yourself and it didn't work. You need help'.