Keeping loved ones up-to-date

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Newsletter 25/8/2006

It’s been almost 4 months since I moved to Cambodia. I am so thankful to be here working. Right now as I sit out side and writing this letter to you I can hear Buddhist monks from a pagoda loudly wailing into loud speakers speaking an ancient Indian language, it’s a familiar sound, maybe a wedding or funeral. Often I wonder why God has let me be part of His plans in Cambodia; I’m simply thankful.

Some deep issues
I want you all to know that Cambodia struggles with some very intense problems… unlike any place I’ve lived before. South-East Asia is know as the ‘sex capital’ of the world, I find it absolutely shocking that that a liberal estimate is that 80% of men in this country visit prostitutes! It’s sick to see the tolerance many people feel towards it. The ’Cambodian Daily’ yesterday reported parliament members arguing that prostitution is great for Cambodia because with out it men would be stressed! There are just a lot of common problems people have to deal with: greed, gambling, and violence are huge… I mean huge. Here’s an example, our students all have to leave school before the sunsets because no-one feels safe to drive alone in the night . The reason I talk about these problems is because I know God is very concerned about them. I want you all to know what is happening here... it's very sad... please pray for it! I believe God has clearly spoken to us about being part of the solution… actively speaking against violence, cheap sex, and greed when ever possible.

Youth Centre
My English classes have been very successful, yesterday I had 55 students come to learn. I’m being challenged a lot trying to create an engaging environment to teach English. Lately I’ve been enjoying the chance to be creative in the class. Yesterday we played some funny children’s music to help with listening and understanding, then we tried some ‘tongue twisters’ to practice pronunciation… it was fun. I want to create an fun, comfortable environment. I know I have a huge opportunity to share truth and real life with the students. The students are important to me, I often get to visit their homes and families.

Learning to speak Khmer
Yes! This is exciting. I’m actually learning to do it! I’ve been taking my first steps in the last 2 weeks towards reading and writing in Khmer, which is very cool seeing as Khmer uses a complicated alphabet with some funny sounds and structure. It’s hard work but I’m learning. I NEED PRAYER. Haha! Yep, God needs to help me with this language. Sometimes it’s fun, sometimes frustrating, but I’m encouraged… I think I’m learning it quickly. I really do! All of us here on staff NEED to learn Khmer.

Rotha Became a Christian! YEAH!
Rotha is one of the main people I’ve been investing time into here in Batdambang. He’s 27, and he directs an organization in the city which is dedicated to helping very poor Khmer families become financially self-sufficient. Rotha and I had Bible studies together for about 2 months when I first arrived. I believe Rotha stands out a lot, he’s definitely intelligent, but he’s also very special. Rotha decided to follow Jesus about a month ago, soon afterward he moved to a near by province to continue pioneering the organization there. He should be moving back to Batdambang soon. Please pray for him, I think he’s an important part of God’s plan in Cambodia.

Hey, I love you guys! I enjoy going to the internet and finding emails from my family, church and friends… it encourages me. Also, I want to know what’s happening in you’re lives. Keep in touch.