Keeping loved ones up-to-date

Friday, February 23, 2007

1 week in Siam Reap

What an amazing/unusual/challenging/fun/frustrating last couple of days! :)
My first experience of ever leading a team finished this morning. I can really say I’ve learnt a lot. My team is amazing; I’m totally impressed and proud of them. They have worked so hard over the last 5 days and I was surprised to see how eager they all were to get involved. I’ve also learnt a little about the weight of leading… after only 4 days I was totally exhausted! oh man!! I have so much to learn before the big 2 ½ month outreach! haha. It’ll be ok.

We spent 1 week helping with a little pre-school/grade 1 school that a Khmer pastor and his wife started together. They are some really humble people. It was cool to help them in their struggling efforts to reach out into this poor community.

A cool story:
Our first morning in Siam Reap was eventful. Sumneang (my co-leader) and I were walking through a small slum community near the school sharing about the education being offered for poor children. We saw a strip of land which was completely burnt… and only recently. As we spoke with them we found out that 12 homes had burnt down only 2 nights before. 12 families were now homeless because of a fire! Not only that but 1 man was badly burnt. So we’ve spent the last week helping in this community… clearing away the wreckage, preparing the land, providing basic needs, health stuff, praying for people.
We’ve just received the news that some tourists who stumbled across the news have decided to finance the new houses! I am certainly praising God for that. But more about that story in my next newsletter.

Keep praying for my language studies I need it more than ever as I’m beginning to translate in team times.