Keeping loved ones up-to-date

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Sopaek’s Emergency

My mum’s been encouraging me to tell this story for a little while now. So...
This story isn't about me being good... believe me, I struggle with selfishness more often than not. But its good for you to hear the story for 3 reasons. 1. God is good. He saved an old man’s life and has given him a second chance. Praise Him. 2. God was able to do it through the generosity of many of you. So thank you! 3. I'm way to slack on keeping everyone updated the God's cool stories! You should hear what's happening! As we say in Battambang, Yeah Preh Ong.

I have an amazing Christian friend in Battambang called Sopaek. He’s a young man who has fully earnt my trust. He was the person who volunteered to translate for me while I taught the Bible class. It’s easy to see his character is deep and solid. He’s a hard working man who continues, and continues to give himself freely serving God.

The night before I went to Siam Reap last month Sopaek phoned me very panicked, “Stuart my father is very sick, if I don’t get him to a hospital tonight he’s going to die”. Now, I’ve visited Sopaek’s family before... they live in a shack, dry dirt for a floor, old palm fawns is the roof and walls. They almost literally own nothing. Going to hospital was going to cost hundreds of dollars, about what they would earn in 5 years! Sopaek said, “can you help us? None of my family will lean us money. My Father doesn’t know God and I’m afraid if he dies”. I mean what was I going to say? I had enough money, of course I was going to help my friend.

So a few days ago I went and visited Sopaek’s family again. His dad is doing well!! He has a problem with his kidneys, he’s still in a lot of pain but he’s getting much better. We had a great time together. They asked lots of questions about why I would give them any money. It was such a great opportunity to share how God has changed this selfish young man’s life and how good life can be. I don't believe God wants Sopaek's family to live in the poviety they suffer... I truly believe God's plan for their family is a good one. I want them to recieve it.

That money was given to me by many of you, so know this; there is a Khmer man who would be dead today without the help you've been giving me. Thanks so much for supporting me to live here in Cambodia. I'm thankful for it.